area homepage click for
Fire Service
main index click for
Police Index
The Rother Valley
West Sussex, England

News reports 2011 [part]

directories | police | Rother valley trail | photo galleries | Vintage Trail | local travel | fire service | schools | pubs | BB | churches | railways past | contact | more

Mans body found in Rother
November 2011
Reports are being received that the body of a man who went missing from the North Mill area of Midhurst has been found in the River Rother.
Police began searching for him on Monday evening [31 Oct] and a Police helicopter was deployed at 20.20 to help in the search, reporting no trace. The helicopter was also deployed the next day.
The man, who is believed to be from Harting, was discovered Tuesday 01 Nov.
Detectives launch murder investigation
Monday 17 Oct 2011
source- Surrey Police
Detectives have launched a murder investigation following the discovery of a body in woodland near Lurgashall in West Sussex.
Officers from Surrey Police were called shortly before 11:30pm yesterday [Sunday, 16 October] to a report of a concern for safety.
Following enquiries, officers attended an address in West Street, Haslemere and then Blackdown Woods near Lurgashall where a search of the woodland led to the discovery of the body of a woman in her thirties.
Police have cordoned off the area of woodland and forensic officers are on site carrying out enquiries.
The woman has not yet been formally identified.
A 35-year-old man from Haslemere has been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the incident and remains in police custody. A post mortem examination has been scheduled to take place tomorrow afternoon at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police by calling 101
- Ends -
A former detective has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a policewoman's
body was discovered in woodland.
The 35-year-old man, from Haslemere in Surrey, is believed to be the victim's partner.
Following enquiries, officers searched Blackdown Woods near Lurgashall. There they discovered the body of a woman in her 30s.
The area has been cordoned off while further investigations are carried out. The policewoman has not yet been formally identified.
- Ends -
UPDATE 18 Oct 2011
Police appeal for sightings of silver BMW
Detectives investigating the murder of woman whose body was found in woodland near Lurgashall, West Sussex, in the early hours of yesterday morning are appealing for information which could assist them.
Officers are keen to hear from anyone who may have seen a silver BMW estate in the area of West Street, Haslemere, and Tennyson’s Lane near the Blackdown Woods car park between the hours of 11am and 11pm on Sunday, 16 October.
Detective Chief Inspector Nick May, of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: “We are continuing work to build up a picture of events on Sunday and I am urging anyone who may have seen this vehicle during that day in these locations to contact police. Your information could prove vital.”
Anyone with information should contact Surrey Police by calling 101
- Ends -
Police have been given an extra 36 hours to question a former police detective arrested on suspicion of murder.
Peter Foster, 35, a former detective with Surrey Police was arrested on suspicion of murder after the body of his partner, and policewoman Heather Cooper, 33, was found on Sunday (October 16) at Blackdown Woods near Lurgashall.
The 35-year-old of West Street, Haslemere is believed now to be a heating engineer after leaving Surrey Police around two years ago. Miss Cooper had given birth to her second child about a month ago and believed she was still on maternity leave.
UPDATE 19 Oct 2011
A female police detective whose body was found in woodland near Lurgashall died from a blow to the head and a stab wound to the throat, police said today.
The post-mortem results for Detective Constable Heather Cooper came as police revealed that a baseball bat and a knife were found at the home of the mother-of-two in West Street, Haslemere, Surrey. Her partner, Peter Foster, a former police detective, was arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody.
A Surrey Police spokeswoman said- "A post-mortem examination has given a preliminary cause of death in the investigation into the murder of Surrey Police detective Heather Cooper". The body of the 33-year-old was discovered in Blackdown Woods near Lurgashall, after concerns were raised for her safety on Sunday night.
Mother-of-two Miss Cooper joined Surrey Police eight years ago and in 2009 was given a commendation by the force in recognition of her 'professionalism, dedication and commitment'. She was on maternity leave at the time of her death.
Police cordoned off the area of National Trust woodland where her body was found while forensic officers carried out their investigations. The detached house in Haslemere, Surrey, where Miss Cooper lived was also cordoned off as teams examined the property.
Dominique Chapman, 44, who lives opposite the couple, said- "They were a very close family, they went out as a family, at the weekends - they have two small children. Heather did not come from round here but Peter did, they had only been living here for about a year - I cannot believe this has happened."
Woman killed in Rogate accident
Published on Friday 9 September 2011 11:28
A woman died yesterday afternoon after being crushed by a car at Rogate.
The Kent Surrey and Sussex air ambulance was alerted at 4.20pm and paramedics were rushed to her aid. But the lady, in her 70s, died at the scene of the accident.
uploaded on Saturday 3rd Sept 2011 - 10am
Firefighters have rescued seven adults and a dog after fire broke out in the stairwell of their flats in Littlehampton early this morning. Three people were treated for smoke inhalation and one of them was taken to hospital.
Five calls were made to Command & Mobilising Centre of West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service this morning shortly after 5am. Residents had been woken by the fire alarm sounding but several of the callers said they were trapped in their flats and unable to get out because of the heat and thick black smoke in the communal staircase. The premises are a four storey terraced building in South Terrace on Littlehampton seafront which have been converted into flats with a single staircase. Callers also informed Fire Control Operators whereabouts in the building they were trapped so this information could be passed on to the crews who were attending.
When the first crew from Littlehampton arrived they were faced with an elderly lady on a first floor balcony and a male on the roof, and crew members who went to the rear of the property found two males, two females and a dog perched on a first floor roof.
Additional crews were requested including an Aerial Ladder Platform [ALP] from Worthing.
Fire crews forced an entry through the communal front door and breathing apparatus crews began to search for further casualties and tackle the fire. The four people and dog at the rear of the property were rescued via ladder, and the man trapped on the roof was rescued from the roof by the ALP. Two other residents were led to safety once smoke had cleared.
The fire was located in the basement level of the staircase and extinguished but it had caused extensive smoke damage throughout the staircase.
The cause is now being investigated although it is believed to have started in the basement area of the staircase close to a rear door, and accidental ignition by smoking materials has not been ruled out.
uploaded on Saturday 20th August 2011
The fire which broke out at a fuel depot near Billingshurst last night is now out.
More than 50 firefighters worked through the night to tackle the blaze, which broke out at Four Seasons Farm in Coneyhurst just before 10pm last night [August 19].
A 600-metre cordon was put in place and 30 people were evacuated to Billingshurst village Hall, which had been opened up as a rest centre by Horsham District Council. All residents have now safely returned to their homes and firefighters have reduced the cordon around the scene to 200-metres.
A section of the A272 falls within the cordon, as do a number of smaller, local roads and these will stay closed until fire officers are happy that any danger posed has been removed. It is expected that the cordon will remain in place for the rest of Saturday and possibly, into Sunday. Diversions are in place.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service's Deputy District Commander for Horsham, Steve Clack, said-
"The first crews on the scene were faced with a significant and well developed fire so an immediate decision was made, working with Sussex Police, to set up a safety cordon to ensure public and firefighter safety. Crews have made steady progress throughout the night and I'm pleased to say that the fire is now out.
"We anticipate that fire crews will remain in attendance throughout the day to assist the Fire Investigation Officers as their investigation into the cause of this fire can now begin."
Inspector Paul Williams, from Sussex Police, said- "This has obviously caused major disruption and upheaval and I should like to thank everyone affected for their co-operation and patience. Thankfully, nobody has been injured in this incident and people have now returned safely to their homes."
West Sussex school strike information
uploaded on Monday 27 June 2011
Teachers in West Sussex are planning to strike on Thursday, June 30.
Many schools have already announced they plan to close, or partially close, for the day.
West Sussex County Council has launched a website to advise parents on school closures.
The industrial action will be led by the National Union of Teachers and the Association of Teachers and Lecturers.
Date Added- Saturday 12th March 2011 - 11.29am
West Sussex firefighters have now been mobilised as part of the UK response to help victims of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami.
The scale of the damage and destruction is still emerging and the Japanese government has this morning formally requested assistance from the UK to help with search and rescue operations.
Six members of West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service's Technical Rescue Unit [TRU] are currently on enroute to RVP at Manchester Airport, and will be part of a 60+ team of doctors and firefighters from West Midlands, Kent, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Mid and West Wales, Lincolnshire, and Hampshire.
A flight is being chartered by DFID [Department for International Development], and they hope to take off between 1500-1600hrs this afternoon.
The TRU are based at Horley Fire Station, but its members live across West Sussex. The members on this deployment are
  • St John Stanley, who lives in Billingshurst
  • Chris Kemp, -Horsham
  • Joe Sacco, -Worthing
  • Mick Lewin, -Billingshurst
  • Peter Thorpe-Hincks, -Steyning
  • Brian Vincent, -Worthing
    Peter and Brian were part of the TRU team that only returned on Tuesday from the New Zealand earthquake.
    Two overseas deployments in such a short space of time is clearly exceptional, but shows the great commitment from the whole of our team to be able to respond anywhere in the world at such short notice, says Sean Ruth, Deputy Chief Fire Officer for West Sussex.
    13th March 4.30pm
    The UK team of firefighters, search dogs, and medical teams have arrived at the US airbase in Misawa, northern Japan, where they will join up with the United States Urban Search & Rescue teams from Fairfax County and Los Angeles County.
    The UK team includes six members of the West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service Technical Rescue Unit. All team members are fit and well, and eager to play a key role in the international rescue effort.
    It is now the middle of the night in Japan, and the teams will remain at the airbase overnight and move south at first light and into the main areas of destruction to search for victims of the earthquake and tsunami.
    14th March 3pm
    Rescue teams from the UK have now reached the Japanese coastal town of Ofunato to begin their search for victims of the earthquake and tsunami.
    Ofunato is situated on the north-east coast of Japan, approximately 100km north of Sendai, and has a population of 42,000 people. It is in the region that seems to have born the brunt of the tsunami when it struck on Friday. Initial reports indicate widespread destruction and an unknown number of people unaccounted for. There are several large structures intact, and it is hoped search dogs will be highly effective in detecting any signs of life over such a large area.
    The UK rescue team travelled down from the US military air base at Misawa in convey of 15 vehicles together with Urban Search and Rescue teams from Los Angeles County, and Fairfax County in the United States. The team includes six firefighters from West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service's Technical Rescue Unit (TRU), including two of them that only returned from the New Zealand earthquake a few days ago.
    Ofunato is 130km north of the damaged nuclear plant at Fukushima, and the UK crews are being kept fully informed of events there. There is no known risk from radiation in Ofunato.
    The six other team members of the TRU that have remained in the UK are working additional shifts to ensure 24hr cover for West Sussex is still available from their base at Horley Fire Station.
    17th March 6pm
    Japanese authorities coordinating the emergency response to the earthquake and tsunami have reluctantly agreed to end search and rescue operations by the UK-ISAR team.
    Plans are now being made for the team to withdraw from the disaster hit coastal region of north-east Japan and return home. The UK team includes six firefighters from West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service.
    The team have spent the last few days searching coastal towns of Ofunato and Kamaishi. Despite an extensive search of residential and industrial properties, no survivors have been found. Heavy snow and falling temperatures a week after the start of the disaster mean there is now is an extremely low chance of finding survivors.
    The UK-ISAR team has been working closely with colleagues from Fairfax County and Los Angeles County from the USA and the joint UK/US team is now returning to the US Air Base at Misawi.
    The return of the UK team is being organised by DFID, the Government Department for International Development. A statement from Andrew Mitchell, the Secretary of State at DFID said:
    We are all extremely proud of the work of the UK Fire and Rescue team. Sadly, the chance of them finding further survivors is now extremely low and so their specialist skills are no longer necessary in Japan. We have therefore agreed with the Japanese authorities that we will withdraw our team. I am proud that despite very difficult conditions, the UK Fire and Rescue Service's dedication and professionalism was able to help Japan in its hour of need. The role of ISAR teams is search and rescue of live casualties, and once it has been determined likely that all live casualties have been recovered the ISAR teams withdraw so they don’t become an extra drain on local resources" added Lee Neale, Assistant Chief Officer for West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service.
    They are self-sufficient in terms of food and water etc, so once their role is complete they are also able to leave any unused supplies to other agencies or local people. All team members remain fit and well, and have coped with the conditions. They have been kept fully informed of the ongoing situation at the Fukushima nuclear plant, but the areas where they have been working have not been at risk of contamination.
    The team could arrive in the UK over the weekend. Further details will follow once they have been confirmed by DFID.
    return to previous page
    Date Added- 4th March 2011, 10.30pm
    Firefighters from both Hampshire & West Sussex are tackling a fire that has broke out above shops in the centre of Chichester.
    West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service were called shortly before 9pm to a maisonette above the Fat Face store in East St, Chichester.
    The property consists of two storeys and an attic, above a ground floor shop. The occupiers had been alerted by a smoke alarm and found the problem to be a fire in the electrical intake on the first floor.
    When fire crews arrived they found the blaze spreading to the upper floors and roof space via voids and service ducts. Teams of breathing apparatus wearers tackled the fire from inside to try and prevent it spreading to the roof space of neighbouring properties. An Aerial Ladder Platform was mobilised from Worthing to provide a working platform for firefighters to tackle the fire from above.
    A total of 12 fire engines attended to ensure there were enough breathing apparatus teams and sufficient water supplies from nearby hydrants to stop the fire spreading. There was a small amount of smoke damage to adjoining properties. The fire broke out through the roof and further tiles were removed to allow the smoke and heat to ventilate which reduced the threat of a lateral fire spread along the roof void.
    The incident is ongoing but the fire is under control. Fire crews and Police will be in attendance through the night, using relief crews from stations across the county. They are being supported by Red Cross volunteers who are supplying refreshments.
    No one has been reported injured, although the damage to the maisonette is substantial.
    return to previous page
    Date Added: 21st November 2010
    One person has died in a fire at a mobile home park in Yapton this afternoon.
    West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service was called to Woodlands Park, on Main Road, Yapton shortly before 4pm and mobilised fire crews from Littlehampton, Arundel and Bognor.
    Firefighters arrived to find the property heavily smoke logged and teams of breathing apparatus wearers located an elderly male in the lounge area. The fire was extinguished with two high-pressure hose reels.
    Fire officers and police have begun an investigation into how the fire started. Arson is not suspected.
    Emergency services incident report
    return to previous page
    14th October 2010 -
    incident time- 06.27     online time - 09.16
    A man has been found dead by firefighters attending a flat fire in Chichester this morning.
    West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called to a block of flats in Bradshaw Rd in Chichester at 06.27 this morning after the alarm was raised by neighbours seeing smoke and flames issuing from the window of the 1st floor flat. Two fire engines from Chichester were in attendance just five minutes later and very quickly brought the fire under control with a crew using hose reels to fight the fire through the window and a further crew gaining entry through the flat door. On entering the flat firefighters found a male casualty on the floor, but unfortunately the man was already deceased.
    No other flats were affected by the fire but a precautionary evacuation of the three storey block was carried out and affected residents are being looked after by Hyde Martlett Housing Association. Fire Investigation Officers are currently at the scene working alongside Police Scene of Crime Officers to establish the cause of the fire - at this stage arson is not suspected.
    Emergency services incident report & photo
    return to previous page

    Saturday, 7 August 2010 4.43pm - Uploaded- 9.28
    Police are appealing for witnesses after a crash occurred at 4.43pm today - Saturday, 7 August on Kirdford Road, junction with Loxwood Road, Wisborough Green. The crash involved a red Vauxhall Corsa and a white flat bed 7.5 tonne HGV.

    Four people in the Corsa - two local women aged 16 & 18 and two local men aged 18 and 16 -
    sustained serious injuries.

    Four air ambulances were deployed to the scene and three of the occupants were taken by air ambulances to hospitals in London and Essex. Their injuries are described as life threatening.

    The 4th person - an 18 year old girl - was taken to Worthing Hospital with serious injuries.

    The driver of the HGV, a 71 year old man from Ashington, was unhurt. The road was closed for four hours.

    Sussex Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact Road Policing Department at Chichester on 0845 60 70 999 quoting Operation Nadia

    Fire Brigade Incident report
    UPDATE 13 AUGUST 2010

    Police are renewing an appeal for witnesses after a 16-year-old from Slinfold sadly died this morning [13 August] following a collision at Wisborough Green on Saturday 7 August.
    The girl, who died at Queen's Hospital in Romford, Essex, has been named as Kirsty Hicks of Stane Street, and was one of three passengers in a red Vauxhall Corsa which collided with a white flat bed 7.5 tonne HGV at 4.43pm on Kirdford Road.
    An 18-year-old man remains at Kings College Hospital, London, in a critical condition and a 16-year-old boy is in a serious condition at the Royal London Hospital.
    The 18-year-old woman driver remains in a critical condition at Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre in Haywards Heath.
    Inspector Phil Nicholas said- "Officers from the Roads Policing Unit are investigating the circumstances surrounding this incident and family liaison officers are offering support to the families during this difficult time. As with all road collision, officers have examined the road surface as part of the investigation. This has been ruled out as a contributing factor in this collision."
    Sussex Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact Road Policing Department at Chichester on 0845 60 70 999 quoting Operation Nadia.

    Fire Brigade Incident report
    UPDATE 21 JAN 2011

    21 Jan 2011
    An 18-year-old woman has admitted causing death by careless driving after she lost control of her car and collided with a lorry in Wisborough Green.
    A passenger in her car, 17-year-old Kirsty Hicks, died as a result of injuries sustained in the accident and two other male passengers received serious head injuries.
    Miss Stocker pleaded guilty to causing death by careless-inconsiderate driving at Chichester Magistrates’ Court this morning.
    She will appear at Chichester Crown Court on February 21 to be sentenced.

    all below archived

    Uploaded- Thursday 22 July 2010 - 9.17 - online time 9.22
    West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service, more accustomed to extinguishing fires, came to the aid of a Chichester couple in the early hours of this morning after a huge block of ice crashed through their roof as they slept.
    Firefighters from Red Watch in Chichester were called at 1.42 this morning after the block of ice, believed to have fallen from an aircraft, smashed a 2ft hole through the second floor flat roof at Summerdale Court in Chichester.
    Flat owner Vince Foot and his wife were fast asleep when they were woken by an almighty crash. A stunned Mr Foot described what happened:
    I was woken by an unbelievable bang. I thought at first it was thunder and I got up to investigate. I tried to open the spare bedroom door and it wouldn’t move. When I forced it open I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. There was an enormous hole in both the roof and the bedroom ceiling and there were great chunks of ice everywhere.
    My wife and I are in a state of shock, but we also feel like we’ve had a lucky escape. The ice smashed through the room our grandchildren sleep in when they visit, which is a terrifying thought. It is such a freak incident, but it could have been so much worse. Tiles and roof debris have been scattered nearly 30 feet so I don’t want to imagine the force with which it hit.
    Mr Foot was also quick to praise the fire crew who attended, The firefighters were brilliant, they put a temporary cover over the hole and were very reassuring.
    Red Watch Manager Pete Windsor said-
    This is one of the strangest incidents we've been called to, we are just relieved that nobody was hurt and that we were able to offer them some assistance. They have had a miraculous escape really.

    Incident report

    Date Uploaded- Thursday 27 May 2010 12.37 - online time 13.44
    West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is currently in attendance at a fire in the plastics recycling facility at the Ford Materials Recycling Centre at Ford
    The first call to the fire service was received at 12.37 hrs and the first attendance was 2 fire engines from Littlehampton.
    The 1st message on arrival stated that smoke was issuing and requested that the pumps attending should be made up to 6.
    The latest informative that came through at 12.55 stated that the fire is in the single storey building 100m x 40m, involving the plastics recycling section.
    4 Breathing Apparatus, 3 Hose Reels and covering foam are in use

    Incident report

    Date Added- Saturday 8th May 2010 0915 - online time 10.03am
    Six adults and a baby have been rescued by firefighters after becoming trapped by a fire in their flats in Worthing.
    The Command & Mobilising Centre of West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service was called to the flats above a hairdressers shop in Crescent Rd, Worthing at 4am this morning, Saturday 8th May.
    A smoke alarm had alerted the occupants of a third floor flat, but they were unable to get out because of the smoke and heat in the communal hallway. Smoke was coming into their flat, and calling 999 for help they were given fire survival guidance by a Control Operator. She advised them to close doors, put towels or bedding around the door to stop smoke coming in, and get to an open window at the front of the property where they could be seen by firefighters. The Control Operator then stayed on the phone until the firefighters arrived, talking calming and reassuring them help was on its way.
    Crews from Worthing Fire Station arrived within 6 minutes, and could see the male and female trapped at the window. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the ground floor to tackle the fire, with the whole of the hallway heavily smoke-logged. They found the seat of the fire in a cupboard containing the main electrical consumer unit.
    Occupants of the flats on the first and second floor were woken by the noise and appeared at their windows, still trapped by the heat and smoke in the hallway and stairs. Firefighters outside gave them the same advice about closing doors and blocking smoke with bedding, and to stay at the window where they could see them.
    The fire was extinguished and the smoke cleared by using a large positive pressure ventilation fan. One further adult was located in a ground floor flat, apparently unaware of the drama unfolding outside her flat! All the residents were then led to safety by firefighters, with some of them being assessed by paramedics. One male and one female, both in their 20’s were then taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. The Red Cross Fire Emergency Support Service, staffed by Red Cross volunteers, attended to provide assistance and temporary welfare facilities to all the displaced residents. The main electrical supply to the building had to be isolated by EDF, and Worthing Borough Council has put some residents up in temporary accommodation, with others going to family or friends.
    Crew Commander Adie Carter from Worthing Fire Station, who was in charge of the first crews to arrive, said it was fortunate the smoke alarm woke the occupants of the top flat.
    "If fire starts and goes undetected, smoke builds up and you are in danger of being overcome as you sleep. You may wake up in a smoke filled room coughing and unable to breathe, and then find yourself unable to escape because your escape route - normally your stairs or hallway - is blocked or impassable because of the fire and smoke.
    "Give yourself a chance. Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted. They cost as little as £5 and could one day save your life."
    For free home fire safety advice please contact your local fire station, call 0800 328 6487, or visit

    related or associated :-
    Emergency services incident reports
    Fire service index

    Date Added- Friday 7 May 2010 - online time 11.24am
    Motorcyclist killed after hitting cars near Harting
    A motorcyclist has died after an accident at Nursted this morning. The motorcyclist was travelling along the B2146 between South Harting and Petersfield when he collided with two cars at approximately 10.05 to 10.10am
    The man, in his 30s and from Worthing, was in the company of a group of motorcyclists, when it appears he lost control of his Kawasaki bike on a corner and collided with a VW Passat and a Peugeot 405. He died at the scene.
    The road was closed to enable medical, recovery and investigative work to take place and also for repairs to be made to the road following fuel spillage.
    The car drivers, both from Petersfield, were uninjured, but were treated for shock.
    The road was still closed at 3pm.
    Police are appealing for any witnesses to the collision or who may have seen any of the vehicles involved in the area in the time leading up to it to contact 0845 60 70 999 quoting Operation Shortland.


    Date Added- Monday 3 May 2010
    Byworth Man dies in A272 crash near Petworth
    A 24 year old driver died and his two passengers were taken to hospital with injuries after an accident near Tillington.
    The driver, Thomas Hoare, of Stopham Bridge Lane, Byworth, near Petworth, lost control of his silver Volkswagen Golf while travelling east along the A272 just after midnight. Initial reports indicate Mr. Hoare was thrown from the vehicle. The incident occured near the junction of New Road and the A272, west of Tillington.
    His 15 year old sister, also from Byworth, was taken with injuries to St Richard's Hospital at Chichester.
    Another passenger, a 24 year old man from Holmbush, Midhurst, was slightly injured.
    Police are appealing for witnesses.
     Anyone with any information is asked to contact Sussex Police on 0845 60 70 999 quoting Operation Caledon.
    related or associated :-
    return to police appeals

    Date Added- Saturday March 27th 2010 - online 10:20am
    Press Officer- Gary Towson
    A fire has badly damaged the staff canteen at Worthing Hospital this morning, but the canteen is in a separate block from the main hospital building and no patients were affected.
    Although described as serious the fire was quickly brought under control and the incident was scaled down within an hour.
    The fire started just before 8am in kitchen on the first floor as catering staff were cooking breakfasts. It is believed to have started in a fat fryer before spreading through ducting and skylight vents to affect the roof.
    The first fire crews described seeing thick black smoke pouring from the roof as they approached. They sent an assistance message 'make pumps 8' as it was feared the fire was spreading to include the whole of the first floor and roof. The building is being renovated and is temporarily covered with scaffolding and plastic sheeting.
    Firefighting teams of breathing apparatus wearers made their way to the first floor where they found the whole of the canteen area heavily smoke logged down to just a few inches above the floor. The kitchen area was well alight, and as they began to tackle that fire with hose reels, further crews made use of the scaffolding and made access to the roof to stop the fire spreading.
    Thanks to their actions the fires were quickly brought under control and extinguished.
    Fire crews were keen to ensure that disruption was kept to a minimum and it is 'business as normal' for patients, staff and visitors. They are still at the scene assisting with salvage and fire investigation but expect to leave soon.
    An emergency management team from Worthing Hospital is now working to reinstate catering services that were affected.

    Friday 12th March 2010 online time - 16 : 52
    West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is currently tackling a blaze in the first floor and roof area of a large detached house in
    Coolham Rd, West Chiltington.
    The call was received from the owner of the house just after 3.30 pm this afternoon with fire crews from Storrington first to arrive on the scene. Ten appliances are now in attendance with crews from across the county tackling the blaze.
    There are no reported injuries – the four occupants were able to leave the house unharmed before the arrival of the Fire Service.
    The B2139 has been temporarily closed while the incident is ongoing.

    12th March
    22 : 00hrs UPDATE

    Firefighting operations are being scaled down at the scene of a serious house fire near West Chiltington.
    Ten fire engines were mobilised shortly after 3:30pm to the detached house in Coolham Rd. The owner and three other adult occupiers had managed to escape safely prior to the arrival of firefighters from nearby Storrington, and thankfully there are no reports of any injuries.
    The fire is believed to have broken out in an area on the ground floor close to the main electrical intake, before spreading rapidly to involve the whole of the first floor and roof space.
    When firefighters arrived, smoke was pouring from the roof and flames shooting from windows at the front and back of the property. Teams of breathing apparatus wearers entered the house but faced a severe fire with intense heat as they made their way up the stairs. The fire was knocked down but teams were then forced to withdraw as the ceilings began to collapse.
    Crews then commenced defensive firefighting operations and salvaged valuables and personal belongings for the owner.
    A specialist water carrier has been used to supply a temporary dam and give a constant water supply for firefighting.
    The fire is out although there remains a number of 'hotspots' in voids with difficult access and crews are expected to remain in attendance overnight.
    EDF energy has isolated the electrical supply, and the B2139 remains closed at Dukes Hill between Thakeham and West Chiltington Rd. A Building Control Officer from Horsham District Council has also attended to advise on the stability of the premises.

    Date Added: 29th December 2009 08:30 am
    Midhurst and Petworth Fire Brigades were called to Selham at 8.35 am today when reports were received of an electricity pole and transformer in Selham Lane being on fire.
    Both the transformer and pole were destroyed in the blaze.
    Power supplies to the area were disrupted for some time after the supply was isolated by Southern Electric for repairs and replacement.
    view fire brigade report

    Date Added: 6th October 2009 08:30 am
    An elderly female has been found dead at a house fire in Bognor. The Fire & Rescue Service was called to a semi-detached house in the Hawthorn Road area of Bognor shortly after 7pm last night [Monday 5.10.2009]. The fire was confined to just one room and is believed to have happened sometime in the previous two days before burning itself out.
    The next-of-kin have not yet been informed, and further details may be released once this has taken place.
    The victim of a fatal house fire in Bognor has now been confirmed as a 97 year old female. She was discovered by a friend who had called to check on her welfare shortly before 7pm on Monday 5th October.
    Emergency services were then called to semi-detached house in Gravitts Lane, Bognor and found her in a smoke-damaged ground floor room at the rear of the property. The fire is believed to have happened in the previous 24 hours and then burnt itself out.
    There are no suspicious circumstances, and the death appears to be a tragic accident.
    The house was fitted with two working smoke alarms correctly fitted in the hallway and first floor landing, but the fire was contained to just the room where the casualty was found with the door closed.
    Initial reports from Fire Investigation Officers suggest the fire made have been started by a candle.
    The lady will not formally be identified until Wednesday 7th.
    Tuesday 14 July 2009
    report 10.22 am
    Reports are coming of a bomb scare at Midhurst Police Station.
    Parts of the town have been cordoned off and nearby premises evacuated.
    6 fire appliances in attendance
    update 2pm all roads open - Fire service stood down
    updated Fire Brigade report
    Time- 10.16-13.18
    Incident- A canister was delivered through the letterbox of Midhurst police station - as a precautionary measure WSF&RS were called and area cordoned off - canister was examined by police and WSF&RS and deemed non hazardous.
    Fire service incident reports
    Police incident reports - - Fire service index page - - Police index


    Gravelroots is a locally operated website based at Heyshott in the Rother valley, West Sussex, England.
    Information and images are updated throughout this site on a constant daily basis. If you regularly use or
    have visited these pages previously remember to refresh the pages for any new entries...Refresh page
    If you came to these pages looking for specific information and were unable to find it, please let us know.

    Part of the Rother Valley Guide by Gravelroots
    Searching for something specific, use the indexes
    This site is best viewed in 1024 x 768
    using Internet Explorer

    Google Sitemap GeneratorFight Spam