Parts of the church are dated from the 11th century and expanded upon by the Normans. The eastern wing and window in view was added in 1638. The prominent grave to the right belongs to Nigel Barttelot a lieutenant commander of the Royal Navy who lost his life in the battle of Heligoland Bight on 31 August 1914. The Barttelot family are firmly linked with both church and the manor of Stopham having arrived with William the Conqueror and received the local manor as part of the spoils. Nigel's 13th, 14th and 15th century ancestors have their own crypts with effigies in the church and current descendents still occupy Stopham House nearly a thousand years after they first arrived in the country.
photo, text- Simon Carey
17 August, 2007
next gallery image
Vintage photos of St Marys, Stopham