Post Office Directory, 1867
parish, 2 miles west from Midhurst.
The manor of Stedeham, as it was at that time written, appears in the Domesday Survey, under the heading of Hamesford.
During the reign of the Confessor it was in the possession of the Saxon Earl Godwin, and, like most of the lordships belonging to this nobleman, passed after the Conquest to the Earl Montgomery.
Shortly before the termination of the reign of Henry VIII. the King bestowed the manor on William Earl of Southampton: it subsequently became the property of B. P. Knight, Esq., afterwards of Lord Selsey, who sold it to the late Sir Charles Taylor: it is now the property of his son, the present Sir Charles, who resides in the parish.
The church of St. James was partly taken down in 1850, rebuilt and enlarged, and now contains about 200 sittings. It consists of a nave and chancel, with a tower containing a peal of 5 bells - in the churchyard is a yew tree, measuring 28 feet in circumference.
The register commences in 1659. The living is a rectory, with that of Heyshott annexed, tithe commuted at £580 per annum. with residence, and about 27 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. L. Vernon Harcourt, M.A., and Hon. Mrs. Vernon Harcourt, and held by the Rev. Caleb Collins, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge.
There is a school for girls, principally supported by the Misses Payne.
Parish Clerk, George Faulkner.
post office - William Steel, receiver.
Letters through Midhurst, delivered at 7.30 a.m.; despatched at 7.10 p.m.
The nearest money order office is at Midhurst.
Village School - girls, Miss Jane E. Miall, mistress
Rev. Caleb Collins, M.A. Rectory
John Bennett Smart, esq. Ash
John Stoveld, esq. Stedham Hall
Sir Charles Taylor, Bart.
Miss Wyndham, Tentworth
Mrs Mary Ann Andrews, farmer
William Ayling, farmer & miller, Great House Farm
James Bailey, shopkeeper
Stephen Cover, timber dealer
John Dolloway, shoe maker
George Faulkner, carrier
Samuel Gale, farmer
Thomas Hunt, farmer
Thomas Knight, farmer, Bridge Foot
William Luff, farmer, Toat Hill
John Mitchell, farmer
Richard Newman, landlord New Inn
George Powell, farmer
Mrs.Jane Simmonds, shopkeeper
John Simmonds, blacksmith
William Tupper, farmer
Charles Wild, shopkeeper
George Wild, beer retailer
Post Office Directory, 1867
Parish, in the Western division of the county, Easebourne hundred, Midhurst union, county court district and rural deanery, and Chichester rape, diocese and archdeaconry. The manor of Epinges, which is its ancient name, is returned in 'Domesday Survey' as having been held of Edward the Confessor by one Aldred, a servant of that king: in the reign of Edward 1. Richard de Amundeville was lord - in 1381 it was held by Henry Hussee, the Lord of Harting - in the time of Henry VIII. it was granted to Sir Henry Audley - in 1784 the Earl of Egremont purchased it - in 1800 it passed to Lord Spencer, from whom it has passed into the hands of Sir Charles Hamilton, Bart., the present lord.
The parish extends from north to south 6 miles - the average breadth is however, less than half a mile - it is on the river West Rother - here is a paper mill - the village is situated in the valley.
The church of St. Mary is a stone building, in the Early English style, and has a nave, chancel, two transepts, and tower with 1 bell. The register commences in 1683. The living is a rectory, with the curacy of Chithurst annexed, joint annual value £314, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. Charles Klanert, M.A., of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, rural dean.
Here are National schools for boys, girls, and infants.
The parish contained a population in 1861 of 404; the area is 1,925 acres, assessed at £1,577
Parish Clerk Alfred Briggs.
Letters through Midhurst, which is the nearest money order office
National School, Alfred Briggs, master
Harvey Drummond, esq. Iping house
Rev. Charles Klanert, M.A. [rural dean], Rectory
Mrs. Piggott, Fitz hall
Henry Bridger, blacksmith
Richard Bridger, farmer, Iping farm
George Butler farmer
John Foard, farmer
George Heath farmer
James Heath, shopkeeper & farmer
William Luff, carpenter & farmer
William Luff, jun. farmer
Pewtress & Co. paper manufacturers, Paper mill
Thomas Pursley, farmer
George Sowter, farmer
Henry Trigg, Rising Sun
John Trigg, shopkeeper
Tom Trigg, bricklayer
John Wakeford, jun. farmer
Eli Windibank, farmer & blacksmith
Stedham Iping index