source - SUSSEX POLICE
telephone - 101
Police investigating Sussex fires
Police Press Release
29 August 2012
ref- PR40200 /2012
Sussex Police are investigating four fires over three days during which cash was stolen.
The most recent incident took place at 1.30pm on Tuesday 28 August. West Sussex Fire & Rescue and Sussex Police attended reports of a fire in a store cupboard located on Comet Ward on the Sixth Floor at Crawley Hospital. Emergency contingency plans were implemented by hospital staff and emergency services and all patients and visitors were safely evacuated. The fire was promptly and efficiently extinguished by WSFRS and at this time the cause is subject of a joint agency investigation by fire investigators and West Sussex CID. No one was injured or required medical treatment as a result of the fire. During the fire a small quantity of cash was stolen from the till in the hospital restaurant.
The first arson took place at 2pm on Sunday 26 August at The Royal Albion Hotel, Old Steine, Brighton, the second fire began shortly after 12 noon on Monday 27 August at the Brighton Museum and Art Gallery and the third fire, also on Monday occurred at The Sealife Centre, Brighton at around 4.30pm. Fire alarms were activated and the buildings were evacuated on all three occasions. The fires were small, caused minimal damage and were extinguished by staff prior to the arrival of the fire brigade on all three occasions. When staff returned to the buildings, having been given the all clear by East Sussex Fire and Rescue, it was discovered that money had been taken from tills left unattended.
A Sussex Police spokesman said; "Damage was very limited and there were no injuries, but detectives at Brighton and Crawley are actively investigating examining the circumstances of each incident and are pursuing joint lines of enquiry, but are currently keeping an open mind as to whether there are definite links between them."
Anyone with information about the Brighton incidents should contact Sussex Police on 101 quoting serial 0953 of 26/08.
Anyone with information about the Crawley fire should contact the same number quoting serial 0949 of 28/8.
You can also call independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
CCTV IMAGE RELEASED FOLLOWING FIRES IN SUSSEX AND KENT
Date Added : 31 August 2012 14 : 15
Reference : PR40220/2012
Location : FORCEWIDE
Released on behalf of Kent Police :
Police investigating a series of fires in Kent and Sussex have released CCTV images of a man they would like to speak to.
Officers in Kent and Sussex have attended a number of addresses including a Hotel in Brighton on 26 August, Brighton Dome Cinema 27 August, Brighton Sea-life Centre 27 August, Hilton Hotel Gatwick 27 August, Crawley Hospital 28 August, Medway Maritime Hospital 29 August and Kent & Canterbury Hospital on 30 August.
Officers would like to speak to the man in the CCTV image, who may have information vital to this investigation. The man is believed to be between 30 and 40 years of age, about 6 feet tall, slim build, with dark cropped hair, receding at the sides. He is clean shaven. He has been seen to wear a black round-neck long-sleeve jumper.
Detective Superintendent Mick Judge from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, who is leading this investigation, said : "As yet the fires have all been determined as deliberate but small and contained, and no-one has been harmed.
"Our investigation team is following up a number of lines of enquiry and we will continue to work closely with our colleagues at Sussex Police, the Fire and Rescue Service and the National Health Service to identify whoever is responsible.
"We have also been working closely with NHS Protect, which has ensured alerts and updates have been circulated rapidly to a large number of hospitals in the target areas."
Anyone with information is asked to contact officers on 101, requesting KENT POLICE.
Alternatively if you have information but would prefer to remain anonymous call Kent Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
UPDATE: MAN ARRESTED IN KENT
Date Added: 31 August 2012 15:32
Reference : PR40224/2012
Released on behalf of Kent Police:
Police investigating a series of fires in Kent and Sussex have arrested a 34 year old man in connection with the inquiry.
The man was arrested in Kent earlier this afternoon, 31 August, and is now in custody at a Kent Police station.
return to previous page
If you have comments about this newsletter you can contact us
related or associated :-
Fire service index
return to previous page - - Previous report - - next report
Why do we show adverts?
How is the site funded?