area homepage click for
Rother Valley
homepage
main index click for
Heyshott Index
The Rother Valley
West Sussex, England

Heyshott
Archived page 4

Rother Valley :- directories | maps | Rother valley trail | photo galleries | travel | fire service | schools | pubs - BB | churches | railways | contact us | more Heyshott :- index | photographs | map | aerial photo | St. James church | church photos | Richard Cobden | Rother valley trail link | Vintage trail link | more


 
Heyshott in 1850's
 
population in 1841 - 408
population in 1851 - 432
population in 1861 - 396
 
Rev. Caleb Collins.

1851
Farmers
Charles Challen
James Challen
William Gadd
William Legg
David Miles
George Randall

1851
Traders
Henry Mills, farmer & miller at Bex mill
Benjamin Newell, farmer & grocer
Henry Pope, farmer & beer retailer
Henry Smith, Unicorn, & bricklayer
Stephen Parry, blacksmith
Robert Pink, boot maker
    In the 4 years to the printing of the 1855 directory [below] a number of changes are seen.

1855 Post office directory

 

 
Post Office Directory, HEYSHOTT 1867
population in 1861 was 396

Heyshott is a small village and parish, 2 miles south from Midhurst, in the Western division of the county, Sutton union, Easebourne hundred, Chichester rape, diocese and archdeaconry, Midhurst rural deanery and county court district.
The manor originally formed a part of the possessions held by William de Perci, of Roger, Earl de Montgomery: in the reign of Henry VIII. Henry Earl of Northumberland sold the lordship to Sir William Fitzwilliam, who held it of the king as part of the honour of Petworth: in 1761 it passed to the Earl of Egremont, and is now the property of Lord Leconfield.
The church is a small building, which has been restored, in the Decorated and later styles of English architecture: it presents no feature of interest. The register commences in 1690. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Stedham, annual value £580, in the gift of the Rev. L. Vernon Harcourt and Hon. Mrs. Vernon Harcourt, and held by the Rev. Caleb Collins, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at Stedham. Dunford is the seat of Messrs. Cobden.

Parish Clerk was Edward Pope
church - Rev. Caleb Collins

Farmers
Charles Challen
James Challen at Hoyle farm
William Ellcome, Hoyle
George Gadd
David Miles
George Scotow

Traders
Benjamin Newell, grocer
Stephen Parry, blacksmith
George Pink, Unicorn
Edward Pope, grocer
George Robinson, grocer
William Smith, bricklayer

 

 
 
Post office Directory - HEYSHOTT 1909
population in 1901 was 389.
 
Post & M. O. Office, near the church, Miss Emily E. Pope, sub-postmistress.
Letters through Midhurst arrive at 9am & 1.30pm; hours of collection are 11.45am & 4.30 & 6pm; Sundays excepted.
The nearest telegraph office is at Cocking station, 2 miles distant by road.
Pillar Letter Box, Heyshott Green, cleared at 11.45am & 4.30 & 6.50pm weekdays only
 
Public Elementary School [mixed], built 1863, for 111 children, average attendance 73, Miss Clara Martin, head-mistress

 
Parish Clerk - William Parry
church - Revd. Edward Laffan Garvock Houndle, The Rectory
 
Private Residents
Misses Dickinson, Dunford
John Archibald Murray MacDonald M.P. The Coppice
Miss Robertson, The Green
Miss Shipman, Cranmore
Fisher Unwin, Oats-Croft

commercial
Charles Challen, farmer, Berrywood Farm
George A Cox., farmer, Hoyle
Charles Dummer, farmer, Walkers Farm
Alfred E. Gadd, farmer, Hoyle
Charles Harris, farmer, Manor Farm
Walter Richard Lovejoy, farmer
George Scotow, farmer, Moor Farm
Cobden Club [Mrs Pope, manageress]
Charles Parry [Mrs], blacksmith & wheelwright
George Parry, chimney sweeper
Emily E. Pope [Miss], grocer, post office
Mary Ann Remnant[Mrs], Unicorn P.H.
Henry Maxwell Wells, miller [steam & water] Bex Mill

 

 
Heyshott - Post Office Directory 1911 in part
population in 1901 was 389

Heyshott is a village near the road from Midhurst to Chichester, 2½ miles south from Midhurst and 1½ east from Cocking station, on the Chichester & Midhurst branch , of the London, Brighton & South Coast railway.
The church of St James is of stone & flint, in the Decorated & Perpendicular styles, and has a turret containing 3 bells, there are 220 sittings.
The churchyard has been much enlarged by the present rector, The register commences in the year 1690. The living is a rectory, formerly annexed to that of Stedham, net yearly value £120, with 14 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of H. C. Houndle esq. of the Inner Temple, and held since 1897 by the Revd. Edward Laffan Garvock Houndle, a rectory house was built by the late rector in 1884 at a cost of £1,000.
The Cobden Club, with a small library and reading room, was opened by Mrs Fisher Unwin, formerly Miss Cobden, for the benefit of the villagers.
Dunford, also in this parish, was the birthplace, 3rd June 1804, of Richard Cobden M.P. the distinguished champion of Free Trade, and founder of the National Anti-Corn Law League, he died in London, April 2nd 1865, and is buried at West Lavington, which adjoins this parish.
Public Elementary School [mixed], built in 1863, for 110 children; average attendance, 45, Miss Clara Martin, head-mistress


Post & M. O. & T. Office, near the church, Miss Emily E. Pope, sub-postmistress.
Letters through Midhurst arrive at 9am & 1.30pm
hours of collection are 11.45am & 4.30 & 6pm, Sundays excepted.
Telegraph office open from 8am to 6pm
Pillar Letter Box, Heyshott Green, cleared at 11.45am & 4.30 & 6.50pm week days only

 
Parish Clerk - William Parry
church - Revd. Edward Laffan Garvock Houndle, The Rectory
 
Private Residents
Misses Dickinson, Dunford
Revd. Edward Laffan Garvock Houndle, The Rectory
Thomas Stirling Lee, Hoyle
John Archibald Murray MacDonald M.P. The Coppice
Miss Robertson, The Green
Miss Shipman, Cranmore
Fisher T. Unwin, Oats-Croft

commercial
Cobden Club [Mrs Pope, manageress]
George A. Cox, farmer, Hoyle
Charles Dummer, farmer, Walker’s Farm
Alfred E. Gadd, farmer, Hoyle
Walter Richard Lovejoy, farmer
Charlotte Parry [Mrs], wheelwright
George Parry, chimney sweeper
Emily E. Pope[Miss], grocer, post office
Mary Ann Remnant[Mrs], Unicorn P.H.
Henry Maxwell Wells, miller [steam & water], Bex Mill
Rovert Wood, farmer, Berrywood Farm

continued.......next page
 

Visit the Rother Valley Trail

Visit the Vintage Trail

 
 
 
 
 
 

Gravelroots is a locally operated website based at Fernhurst on the Sussex, Surrey & Hampshire border.
Information and images are updated throughout this site on a constant daily basis. If you came to these
pages looking for specific information and were unable to find it, or you see an error, please let us know.
 

 

Todays photos, observations and news are tomorrows history, be part of it.
If you have photos, documents or information you wish to submit, why not e-mail copies to us & share them with everyone.
 
A short selection of links to some of the many other pages from Gravelroots
The Vintage Trail - - Fire & Rescue - - The Rother Valley Trail - - Churches - - Venue -Gigs & musicians - - Pubs & Hotels - - more
Rother Valley
Chithurst - - Cocking - - Didling - - Duncton - - Easebourne - - East Lavington - - Fernhurst - - Fittleworth - - Graffham
Harting - - Heyshott - - Iping - - Lickfold - - Linch - - Lodsworth - - Lurgashall - - Midhurst - - Northchapel - - Nyewood
Petworth - - Rogate - - Selham - - South Ambersham - - Stedham - - Sutton - - Tillington - - Trotton - - Upperton
 
Each click gives a cupful of food to the starving
Part of the Rother Valley Guide by Gravelroots
Searching for something specific, use the indexes
This site is best viewed full screen, F11, in 1024 x 768 or higher
WaterAid's vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation
 
Why do we show adverts, how is the site funded? - Support us
area homepage
copyright information
page top
 
main index
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Google Sitemap GeneratorFight SpamValid CSS
page protected by copy sentry